COVID-19 has impacted immensely to the education sector of India. Though it has created many challenges, various opportunities are also evolved. The Indian Govt. and different stakeholders of education have explored the possibility of Open and Distance learning (ODL) by adopting different digital technologies to cope up with the present crisis of COVID-19. India is not fully equipped to make education reach all corners of the nation via digital platforms. The students who aren’t privileged like the others will suffer due to the present choice of digital platforms. But universities and the government of India are relentlessly trying to come up with a solution to resolve this problem. The priority should be to utilise digital technology to create an advantageous position for millions of young students in India. It is need of the hour for the educational institutions to strengthen their knowledge and Information Technology infrastructure to be ready for facing COVID-19 like situations cited form research article Dr. Pravat.K.J. 2020
Education is for more than just attending the lecture, but due to current scenario where everyone is attending online classes students are missing on the experiential learning in schools and colleges, having fellow classmates, having physical education. The social interaction and attitudes have changed as most of them has dominant role virtually, hence learning has become limited to only attending the online sessions and completing the assignments and submitting, which is hampering the overall growth and personality of the individual. Also, it has become a question how honestly the child has perform and how reliable the scores are to take further decision for their career.
There are certain academic integrity issues which raise the question on the reliability of the child’s score. Few of them are listed below:
- A rise in contract cheating and academic file-sharing, and exam cheating were identified as particularly problematic.
- Due to the fact that learning is mostly remote since the start of COVID-19 in March, cheating has become far easier for students.
- Due to the above concern difficult to count the marks as reliable performance.
- There is no remorse from students since attitudes have shifted away from prioritizing education over other things.
- Many institutions turned to commercial services to take over exam proctoring but almost immediately concerns were raised about student privacy, surveillance, and the impact on student mental health.
- The lack of student to teacher interaction has also led students to feel less passionate about the integrity of their work. This leaves students to turn in half-completed assignments, get the answers from their friends in class, or turn in nothing at all simply because education has become less important due to COVID-19.
As our job markets and technology evolve, companies shifted their focus from cognitive abilities to other important abilities such as thinking out of the box, adaptability, self-regulation, resilience, passion, empathy, etc.
A study conducted by Accenture, 2006 concluded that intelligence is important for career success but it’s a matter of how smart you are. Interpersonal competence, self-awareness, and social awareness — all elements of emotional intelligence — are better predictors of success. Emotional intelligence skills are key to managing workplace complexity.
IQ is the minimum you need to get a job, but AQ is how you will be successful over time – Natalie Fratto
Adaptability Quotient is an individual’s capacity to deal with change. It helps to absorb new information, quickly re-orient with the change, and helps to overcome challenges. AQ involves flexibility, curiosity, courage, resilience, and problem-solving skills too.
Indeed IQ tests are powerful and interesting aids, but it’s important to understand that our diverse innate ability and talents play a big role in how we do in all walks of life, be it school, college or job. IQ measurement does focus on certain areas of our cognitive abilities and point out how academically smart we are but there are individual specific areas of abilities that only you can be smart at. Focusing on the talents, habits, and behaviors that a person is gifted can control and maximize the potential fortune.
Hence due to all the above causes it’s very important to take intelligent decision for the students. Please ask yourself few basic questions before taking up the career.
- Are this marks your honest efforts?
- As the examinations have been cancelled, how you are going to decide the streams/career?
- Is attending the lecture online giving the educational experience?
- Are we missing on the academics experiential learning?
NEA Life’s Career Guidance Process:
NEA Life, Pune